Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I Took A Look In The Mirror: Service Does Exist.

Tom Peters and Robert H. Waterman, Jr., wrote a very popular business book that was published in 1982 called In Search Of Excellence that I still own to this day. Once in awhile I'll pull it, and other books out just to re-visit some key points, just to keep the service end of our business fresh.

It's easy to get discouraged about the lack of customer service we experience from time to time. So that's why I try to go into my collection of business books and read about how service was provided, "Back In The Day".  I'll sigh, get a little emotional just short of singing the classic Barbara Streisand song, "The Way We Were". Now, I have talked to various people and some have told me, "Pat, business is not conducted that way any more, just get over it". I have thought to myself, "maybe they're right, maybe human communication, interaction, and true customer care is gone forever. Maybe the spirit of all of those customer accommodations and awards I had received as a young man are gone like the VCR and the Mullet haircut".


Alan And Marion G. (Queensland, Australia)

Just when I started to get discouraged about the lost art of service and admit that we are placing too much of an emphasis and too many resources toward the quality of service for our customers. Just before throwing in the towel, I get an email from an elderly couple in Australia along with kind words and a sincere thank you telling me that our service, and our willingness to assist them was much appreciated.  They even sent a gift to my ten year old daughter who's fascinated with geography.

Boy was I ever wrong to doubt the "Power of Service and Care". I also figured out I wasn't crazy after all, and that Tom Peters was right when he said:

"The Simple Act Of Paying Positive Attention To People Has A Great Deal To Do With Productivity".

Tom Peters



GLP Security Solutions, LLC.
Patrick Massengale (CEO)
www.GLPSecurity.com
E-Mail: GLPSecurity@live.com



No comments:

Post a Comment